Why Do You Need to Buy the Best Vacuum Sealer for Sous Vide Cooking?
Sous Vide is a French word that translates to ‘under vacuum’. It is a process of cooking that can take a long time, 95 hours or more.
It has two steps: the first part is sealing the food inside the plastic bag, and the second part is the water bath, where the sealed plastic bag with food is placed inside a pot or equipment with the temperature controlled at around 55 – 60 degrees Celsius which is lower than usual when using traditional cooking methods.
In sous vide cooking, the food being cooked is thoroughly and evenly done, without losing its succulence.
The complete elimination of the air in your food bags is the KEY to get the perfect sous vide dish, so you need a VACUUM SEALER to create airtight seals.
After many years of use, we highly recommend the 3 best-rated vacuum sealers for you:
- FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System (BEST CHOICE)
- FoodSaver FM2435-ECR Vacuum Sealing System
- FoodSaver v4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System
Besides the famous Foodsaver models above, we also have other high quality machines come from the reputable brands in the market such as:
The function of the appliance is to vacuum seal your food inside the food bags before they are given the water bath. Not only does this protect the food inside from getting wet, but it also allows flavors and seasonings to sip into your food, thus resulting to more flavorful food.
What is the BEST SOUS VIDE VACUUM SEALER?
We studied most of the different brands and models in the market, and came up with a few top-notch choices. To further help you decide as to which one to purchase, our reviews are including the in-depth and extensive comparisons of the different brands and models:
Common Types of Vacuum Sealer
Did you know? To talk about the structure of machine and how-to-vacuum, we have two basic types of vacuum sealer:
- External Vacuum Sealer;
- Chamber Vacuum Sealer.
External vacuum sealer is also known as clamping vacuum sealer without chamber. When using this machine, your food bags will be sucking up all the air directly through the open edge of the bag placed at the machine’s sealing strip. Note that you need to use special bags for the clamping model like embossed bag with ridges.
Chamber vacuum sealer have a chamber. With the machine, the entire food bag is placed inside the machine’s chamber. When operating it will suck all the air in the chamber and in the food bag at the same time so that the air pressure inside and outside our bag is always equal; this vacuum technology makes the chamber machine can work very effectively with liquid foods.
External & Chamber Comparison Chart
The following comparison will help you clearly understand the pros and cons of each type of vacuum sealer:
|Type of Bags|
|Cost of Bags|
If you are starting to cook sous vide – you are at beginning level – you have a relatively small kitchen, the External models will be the most suitable choice for you.
Here are the top-rated external vacuum sealers for home-user that we highly recommend to buy:
1. FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System
2. Gourmia GVS435 – Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
3. FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System (fully automatic)
If you are a professional chef – you are catering business – you want a powerful machine that can seal in bulk, the Chamber machine is your perfect choice.
Here are the top-rated chamber vacuum sealers for commercial users:
1. VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
2. VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
3. VacMaster VP112S Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Reviews on the Best External Sous Vide Vacuum Sealers
We have a lot of vacuum sealer brands on the market from various manufacturers such as FoodSaver, Gourmia, Weston, Nesco, Seal-a-Meal … of which FoodSaver brand is best known for high-quality products to suit every customer.
To find the best External Vacuum Sealer for your sous vide, we will compare between top three (3) machines based on reviews of our experts:
See more FoodSaver V4440
See more Gourmia GVS435
See more Weston Pro-2300
Top-Rated Vacuum Sealers Comparison Chart
Our Experts Rating:
Our Experts Rating:
Our Experts Rating:
FoodSaver V4440 Img
Rating of Our Experts:
Why? Because of the FoodSaver V4440 owns the great features that will help you overcome your problems with very reasonable cost:
- This is a two-in-one versatile unit that has both handheld sealer and standard vacuum sealer. On its left side is a retractable sealer that can be used on canisters, jars and zipper bags. As a standard vacuum sealer, it is automatic. It can automatically detect the bag and it draws it into the seal strip. One press to start, and it will stop on its own;
- You can optimize your time with its built-in roll & cutter;
- The V4440 gives you the option of using special FoodSaver bags and canisters for the handheld sealer. These bags and containers, though, are a bit pricey. You can use lesser-priced bags in the standard counter top vacuum sealer. Since it is automatic, it is very easy to use;
- The model does a good first step for sous vide, which is sealing in the food inside the plastic bag. Like any other countertop vacuum sealers, it can suck out the liquid so be careful when your meat has marinade -> Do not forget to apply our sealing tips!
- It also has quick marinate mode that helps you enhance the flavor of your meat quickly with excellent quality.
You need the matching accessories with this model to optimize its use and bring more convenient for you:
>> Outstanding Choice:
Rating of Our Experts:
The Gourmia GVS435 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer can be used by anybody. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know how to operate it. It has many benefits that you don’t have to be in the food business to appreciate it either.
The initial cost of the Gourmia model is very affordable, and is best suited for homemakers who want to do sous vide cooking for a thorough and consistent cook of meats, fish and vegetables. With the vacuum sealer, the flavors of the food is sealed in, and you can be sure of the tight seal when the bag is given the sous vide water bath.
It is also suitable for anybody who wants to do bulk-purchase to save on bulk discounts and gas for trips to the supermarket.
Top Features and Functions of Gourmia GVS435 vacuum sealer
- The Gourmia GVS435 is very versatile with 8 functions to fit the food type and whether you want automatic or manual seal;
- It is user-friendly, with one-touch operation and automatic shut-off features. It has a compact and easy design with visible LED indicator lights that show the function being used;
- Seals food for storage, where food can last up to five times longer as compared when not vacuum sealed;
- Seals food inside bags for sous vide tightly, where the seasoning is absorbed by the food during vacuuming, and the food is evenly cooked during sous vide water bath;
- Seals in food in various sizes and brands of food bags.
- The many options according to food type;
- The machine can vacuum seal other brands of bags, including those budget ones;
- Great customer service with an email received by buyer right after purchase, inquiring about any problems.
- No built-in roll and cutter. You will have to use scissors or knife.
In a nutshell, purchasing Gourmia GVS435 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer is a wise purchase. It is a great value buy with its versatile functions, its easy usability and quality performance.
(+) We highly recommend a GREAT PACKAGE for you who are sous vide cooking enthusiasts.
What is the GREAT PACKAGE?
It’s the perfect combination between Gourmia GVS435 Vacuum Sealer with Gourmia GSV140 Immersion Sous Vide Circulator. The Gourmia couple will surely help you get peak sous vide dishes.
Weston Pro-2300 Img
Rating of Our Experts:
The Weston Pro-2300 is special vacuum sealer; it is the best for large size food. Below are the product reviews from our experts:
- Talk about heavy-weight, this one weighs almost 15lbs. Made of stainless steel, it is a sleek machine that gives you the option to operate it automatically or manually. It has a double piston pump for heavy-duty and powerful vacuum sealing, which can go a long time without overheating.
- One of its best benefit is it can seal up to 15 inches wide. You can vacuum seal a turkey easily with it. You can also serve more people than in the same time to cook.
- The Weston machine is also easy to use, and gives you option to let the machine do the thinking (automatic function) or you do the thinking (manual function). Because it has a double piston pump, there is no fear of overheating so you can vacuum seal in big quantity. The led lights show the status of your vacuum sealing.
- This is an giant, if any. It is heavy, so at least, your bag of meat will not weigh it down. You won’t have to hold up the bag while it vacuum seals.
- For use in sous vide, it gets the job done. Just be careful with the liquids, though. It may be sucked out if you do not have a bit of skill.
Reviews on the Best Chamber Sous Vide Vacuum Sealers
Did you know? VacMaster is the TOP brand of chamber vacuum sealer in the market. The branded machines are highly valued technology and durability. They also possess the advanced features to help customers solve their problems.
If you want to own a top-notch model for your business, you should to pick the following model:
The VacMaster machine is a giant in the world of vacuum sealers. It is not like the others, because this one is a chamber vacuum sealer. The bag being vacuum sealed is not on the countertop, but inside the chamber. You lift the lid, position the bag inside the chamber, putting the open portion on the seal strip, and then close it down. It also has an oil pump that can do the job for a long time without fear of overheating.
- The VP215 can vacuum seal liquids or food with sauces with high performance, because the air inside the chamber and inside the bag have the same pressure so the liquid is not sucked out;
- The ¼ hp rotary oil pump enables it to vacuum seal through a big volume without having to stop in between to cool off the machine.
- When buying a new unit, you will have to put the oil in, which comes with the purchase. At some point in the future, through time and usage, you will have to oil the pump again. In addition, another disadvantage is the initial expenses, which is steep.
The VP215 is the best chamber vacuum sealer to use for sous vide. This is the recommended choice for those in the food or catering business.
For your sous vide to be successful, both steps have to be done right. If you are able to effectively seal the bag, but not able to maintain the right temperature and duration in the water bath, you may not have the tender, properly cooked meat you want. On the flipside, you may know how to control the water bath, but you failed to seal the bag. You end up with meat drenched in water and has lost its flavor. That is how important a vacuum sealer is when doing a sous vide.
Comparison chart between FoodSaver V4440 and VacMaster VP215
FoodSaver V4440 Img
VacMaster VP215 Img
As to COST, our pick is the FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System with very reasonable cost when compared to the VacMaster VP215 chamber machine, you already get a top vacuum sealer. It is versatile and easy to use. You can place it anywhere in your kitchen.
As to PERFORMANCE, nothing beats the VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer. It is durable and can work non-stop without overheating. It also works best with liquid so have no fear of using it to vacuum seal soups or sauces. On the other hand, in the case of sous vide, it will not suck out the wet marinade. If you have a food business, it will grow with your business.
In addition, depending on your plans, if you are home users with just a few sealing times per day, the FoodSaver V4440 is your best choice and if you are commercial users who need large quantities sealing of the day, the VacMaster VP215 is best suited.
We have given you all our advice to choose the best vacuum sealer for sous vide cooking. So which one is yours?