|FoodSaver 4840 Pic||FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System
Rating of Our Expert:
FoodSaver 4840 Price
FoodSaver 4840 is fully automatic, all-in-one model. The 4840 is very versatile and efficient. It is quick and easy to seal - very convenient for everyone.
FoodSaver 4840 Details
A SPECIAL COUPLE
Some women are born to be homemakers; some are not. Believe me, some are not. I am one of them. I cannot cook – no skill, no talent, and no desire. I can put some wash loads in the washing machine but don’t look at me if the stained blouse remains to be stained. Before I got married, I had my fiancé sign a pre-nuptial agreement essentially stating that he will do all the cooking in the house, and whatever other chores, and that he will not hate, kill or divorce me for a messy house or uncooked meals.
So began our love story. We got married, and he has been doing all the cooking. In fairness to this fair maiden, I have learned to love dishwashing duties. Two years of bliss and my husband gets transferred out-of-state. Are you out of your freaking mind?
It’s just 5 hours away and he tries to come home on weekends. And, we developed a mutually-satisfying system of him cooking up a storm over the weekend so I can have meals during the week. If you think that is self-serving, remember our pre-nup.
My greatest contribution to this set-up is buying a FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System. I love this mean machine as much as my husband. The two go together, such a great tandem.
Husband cooks soup, pasta, steaks, fried anything and everything else. I separate into one serve portions, vacuum seal it and put in the freezer.
WHY I BUY THE FOODSAVER 4840 MODEL?
My reason is a simply self-survival. The long story is that food, when preserved, can be consumed at a later date without, emphasis on without, losing its great quality. Whenever I heat up a pre-cooked meal, it’s as good as having my husband in the kitchen with me.
The starter kit for FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System includes a roll, some heat-seal bags and zipper bags. It is a good package as I experimented on which bags work with which kind of food. I rather like the rolls as I can make my own size of bag.
The FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 is both a countertop vacuum sealer and a handheld sealer. As a standard countertop vacuum sealer, it is able to vacuum and seal bags. As a handheld sealer, it can seal zipper bags and canisters without need for attachments or accessories. It can also marinate food very quickly.
Essentially, when you have a FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System, you enjoy the convenience of a vacuum sealer with its dual role as both a standard vacuum sealer and a handheld device. The Foodsaver model is very flexible.
BEST FEATURES OF THE FOODSAVER 4840 2-IN-1 SYSTEM
- The FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System is a countertop, channel type of vacuum sealer that suctions air out of the bag or container for food to last five times longer, without change in its appearance or quality.
- It is fully automatic and easy to use. It auto-detects bags and will immediately start the vacuum process.
- The hand sealer is also easy to use.
- It has separate settings for moist or dry food.
- The drip tray can be easily removed and washed. It is also dishwasher-friendly.
- It has an accessory port with a handheld sealer built-in. This is useful when vacuum-sealing zipper bags and canisters.
- It works with both pre-cut bags and rolls, and also with zipper bags and canisters or jars.
- It has a built-in roll holder and cutter.
- The starter kit comes with bags and rolls so you can immediately start vacuum-sealing.
Click here to see more features of the Foodsaver 4840
PRO’S AND CON’S
I think my FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System is simply amazing.
Here are my favorite reasons why:
- It does the job of preserving my food without change in its quality or taste.
- It prevents freezer burn, which I totally hate and was a problem for me before I got my FoodSaver.
- Because I stock up in big number, like a week’s lunch and dinner, I appreciate that a vacuum seal makes the food flat and easy to store in the freezer. I can just heap it up on top of each other.
- It auto-detects the bag so there is no need to push and shove to get it in.
- It is fully automatic. I have heard stories of old models where you have to keep on pressing down on a button for the vacuum sealer to operate. That would have been so tiring!
- I also bought separately a marinator, and using the FoodSaver, we can marinate steak in just minutes.
- It is easy to clean. The dirtiest part, if any, would be the drip tray which catches crumbs or fluids, but since I freeze liquids before vacuum sealing, this is a rare incident. For the rest of the machine, I wipe down with damp cloth after every use.
- It has storage for its roll, and a built-in cutter. It makes it easy and fun to make my own bags.
- The FoodSaver bags and rolls are food-grade. When I take it out of the freezer, I can just throw it in the microwave to heat and voila, it is ready to eat.
Although of course, the unit has its downside:
- In between seals, I count to 20 to give it time to cool down a bit. Otherwise, it tends to act up. Like, it does not auto-detect the bag or it stops midway the vacuum sealing process. It has a ‘wait’ button that flashes but I prefer to count.
- You need to cut a straight edge on the roll to make a bag that will be detected by the auto-detect. If it is a bit crooked or with uneven parts, it may not work sometimes. The auto-detect can be finicky that way.
- When using it, well, conversation is not encouraged because it can be a bit noisy.
If you want to have a cook-free life like mine, well, good luck finding a husband like mine. Woohoo. But seriously, if you don’t cook, it does not mean you have to eat just fast-food or restaurant food. There is a way to eat hearty and eat healthy. Have a family member or friend cook in bigger batches to include you, then preserve the food by using a FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System.
price of foodsaver 4840
When you vacuum seal the food by the foodsaver model, you preserve its quality for a long period of time. You don’t have to eat freezer burn, which happens when food is put in the freezer without being vacuum sealed. You also enjoy an orderly storage in your refrigerator or freezer or even in your pantry when all the foods are vacuum sealed and less bulky to store. That’s great!
After I got my unit, I was so fascinated by what it can do that I read up on it. Here are a few ideas I got from other FoodSaver users:
- Mary from Mississippi shared the right way to use the handheld sealer: look at the zipper bag, find the valve inside the circle. Place the sealer on top of that valve. Then on the main unit, push the button that says ‘accessory’. It will start to vacuum and seal the bag. It will automatically stop when done. It was a great help because seriously, at first I was a bit wary using the handheld sealer. But now, it’s a breeze.
- Still another user asked if other brands of roll can be used. It can actually, but the size may not fit the built-in roll holder. But you can just store it in some other place, right? And the cutter will work just fine even with other brands.
- A guy asked if the machine can just seal without vacuuming, and yes, it can. I tried it myself, and when I open a big bag of chips I cannot finish, I just seal it close for another day.
- I haven’t gone up to 20 bags yet, but someone suggested resting the machine for a few minutes after 20 bags so as not to overheat it. I count to 20 in between seals for good measure, but I may opt to indeed rest the unit if I were sealing a lot more than my usual.
- I followed someone’s advice, and I use the zipper bags for foods I intend to consume every so often, or that food I don’t intend to stay in the freezer for a long time. Like pasta, since it is a staple food, and I can use different sauces on it so I consume it more often.
You still have some unclear points about this appliance? You are in two minds?
Reviews of foodsaver 4840
I read through comments and comparisons made by those who have had or have other FoodSaver models or brands of vacuum sealers:
|FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1||Older models of FoodSaver|
|It has a ‘wait’ time in between seals||No waiting time|
|Wastes about 1.5 inches of bag from edge to the seal||Manual operation, not auto-detect so less material is wasted|
|Can be set for soft or delicate foods||No control in the vacuum process, can crush soft food|
|Efficient suction||Not so tight|
|Auto-detect feature = automatic seal||You have to manually position the bag on the seal strip|
MY FINAL CONCLUSION
Some of you like to cook and you cannot relate to my no-cook persona. Nonetheless, I still recommend the FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System for you for the same reason that food may be safely preserved and stored for future use.
When food is preserved for a long time, it tends to deteriorate in taste and quality if you do not vacuum seal it. Which is why it I totally recommend that you get your own FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1. No more left-over’s, no food wastage. Every bit can be saved and stored, and consumed at a later date but still tasting so delicious. Buy it now.
Reviewed by Mary K. McKay from New York.