Why Do You Need to Buy the Best Electric Fillet Knife for Your Fish?
If you are an avid fisherman, you wouldn’t mind spending hours fishing. However, you wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time cleaning the fish. It take too long, it is a messy and even hazardous.
You need an efficient helpmate, and that is the best electric fillet knife specifically made to clean fish.
A top electric fillet knife can do the job of the traditional knife but faster and better. It can cut through big bones, and can work great with the big fishes like salmon and tuna. The blades of the electric fillet knife are sharp, and would need less maintenance to keep it that way.
Cleaning fish with an electric fillet knife takes less human effort unlike the traditional knife that would require you to use force.
The things you are looking for:
- You want a knife that can smoothly clean off the skin and cut through the meat.
- You want a durable blade made from strong material like stainless steel that won’t bend or break when working with big, hard bones.
- You want speed options and blade length options so you can adjust depending on the size and kind of fish you are cleaning.
The electric knife will meet your needs. Trust me!
There are a few top electric fillet knife brands like Rapala, American Angler and Mister Twister. Choosing the best one can be difficult but we are going to guide you through it.
The 3 top-rated electric knives for filleting fish on the market
6 HUGE Benefits of Electric Fillet Knife
A good electric fillet knife can definitely do a better job than a traditional knife. Here are the top reasons why:
- It requires less strength to use because the electric fillet knife draws its power from the blades triggered by electric motor. When you are using a traditional knife, you use strength from your arms to chop down a big bone or cut through meaty flesh. With an electric fillet knife, you just need strength to hold the knife, and the knife does the hard work.
- The blades last longer and the blade sizes give options to the kind and size of fish. Electric knives will give you not just one blade but it usually comes in a set with various sizes. The bigger the fish, the bigger the blade. The smaller the fish, the smaller the blade.
- Big savings on time as electric fillet knives get it done in half the time. Imagine cutting through a big chunk of fish meat. With an electric fillet knife, it is done in seconds with such minimal effort. With a traditional knife, it will take minutes and will have you huffing and puffing through the process.
- Working on a large quantity of fish will take lesser time and lesser effort. Because of the speed of the knife, its sharp and clean cuts, and also because of the power of the motor, you don’t have to physically exert effort to do the job, but only to hold the knife and steer it to the direction you want it to go.
- It cuts through cleanly, with no jagged edges. Because of its sharp edges, the blade easily and effortlessly cuts through. When you use a traditional knife, it is difficult to control your hand to cut through in one powerful downward motion. The tendency is to make zigzag motions and these results to jagged edges.
- The blade of the electric fillet knife is made of stainless steel which is durable and does not corrode easily. You don’t want rust on your knives?
What is the Best Electric Fillet Knife for 2017?
I didn’t know squat about electric knives. Not until I dated an avid fisherman. After a good overnight trip with his friends, he invited me for dinner to eat the bounty of his trip.
I’ve never seen so many beautiful and big fishes before. I came early to help with dinner preparations, and when he said he had to clean the fish before storing them, I thought we would never get dinner done.
I was surprised when it took a mere one hour to clean and fillet over 8 kilos of trout and salmon. I was fascinated by the Rapala electric fillet knife he was using. It was precise and smooth.
I have become a believer of the great knife since then. I knew having my own electric fillet knife would make the job easier and faster for me. And I did, and it’s one of the best investments I made.
Get your own electric fillet knife, and it can do a multitude of good. Whether you fish, or not, this tool can do a lot for you.
I highly recommend the 3 best-rated electric fillet knives for YOU:
#1 – Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife (BEST CHOICE)
Comparison Chart of the 3 Best Electric Fillet Knives in 2017.
|Rapala Heavy Duty|
Mister Twister 120V
|American Angler PRO|
Our Detailed Reviews – Everything You Need to Know about Each Knife Before Purchase
For me the best feature of this brand is its powerful motor that works twice as fast and three times as powerful.
You get one reciprocating blade when you purchase. It is made from corrosion-free stainless steel.
The blade is 7.5 inches long, ideal for small to medium-sized fish, and can be safely washed in the dishwasher. For longer or smaller blades, it can be purchased separately.
This type is plugged into an electric socket, and has a 8 ft cord.
Best reasons to get the Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife:
- When you hold it, your only task is to hold it with the least effort on your part.
- Its heavy-duty motor cuts through big bones like rib bones and back bones of large fishes like salmon, trout and walleye.
- It can work through hours without overheating.
- It makes clean and smooth cuts, no jagged edges. Your fish meat would be so beautiful.
- And despite the power of its motor, it actually operates very quietly.
Areas to be improved:
- Carry-all for easier storage and transport of the knife.
This is mid-priced but you get a powerful 110 volts motor – that is great value for your money. If you are a big fishing enthusiast or married to one, this is the electric fillet fish knife for you. Its powerful motor will not strain you when working with those big fishes, and its affordable price will not also strain your wallet. The Rapala is my dream knife.
My rating: (4.6 / 5)
Its best feature is its 120 volts power motor. Among the different brands, it is also the lightest in weight.
Because it is light weight, there is not much strain when you are using it.
Because of its strong motor, it would require less power and effort from the handler of the knife. The key is just to hold it lightly and maneuver it smoothly through the bones and meat of the fish.
Best reasons to get Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife:
- The beauty of this knife is in the details like a convenient blade release and a safety lock so you won’t accidentally cut yourself.
- The blade is 7.5 inches long, and can cut through any size or type of fish including the big-sized ones like yellow-fin tuna.
- The resulting cut would be straight, with no jagged edges. Your fish meat will remain beautiful.
- When the blades become dull from usage, you can’t sharpen it. But replacement blades are very affordable. The knife itself can last up to 20 years as one user claims.
- At the affordable price it sells for, cost-wise, this is the best knife for budget among the different brands.
Areas to be improved:
- It is more commonly used for the smaller fishes because of its size, it makes it easier to manipulate when trying to get small bones out.
If you are just recently discovering fishing and cleaning fish, experiment with this electric fillet knife. If the fishing does not work out for you, you can always use this for carving turkey, ham or bread. The Mister Twister is my favorite knife.
My rating: (4.3 / 5)
American Angler runs on the slogan that their products are made for fishermen and designed by fishermen. Their competitive advantage as they claim are their blades, which are made from top quality materials, which are sturdier and give better torque.
Best reasons to get American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife:
- Its design is ergonomic and because of the craftsmanship of its blades, cleaning the fish will cause less strain on the arms.
- Its handles are curved to provide user a good firm grip. It is easy to hold and manipulate, and its twisting power (torque) is also good.
- It is designed with its own venting and cooling system so it does not overheat and burn your hands despite prolonged usage.
- It runs on electricity, conveniently provided through an 8-foot power cord. It powers up to 110 volts.
Areas to be improved:
- Changing blades often gets stuck, and respond slow. This can hurt the users.
- The motor often gets heated up quickly, and slowed down after filleting only 15 – 20 fish.
Since this product is made by fishermen for fishermen, then serious fishing fanatics or the professionals will enjoy the wide array of blade choices, the ease and usability of the product and its durability. If you are in the fish business, this can be a good investment for you that will pay off big time.
Our Comparison of the 3 Best Electric Knives for Filleting Fish
Read through my reviews, I believe you have known about the 3 best knives for filleting your fish that I recommend to use:
- Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife
- Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife
- American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife
In the comparison, I shall compare them based on the 6 following criteria to help you pick the best one for your needs:
Performance – Which one is the best?
- The Twister has the most powerful one at 120v, but the Rapala heavy duty motor, even with a 110v, also packs a strong wallop.
- The Twister, though, because of its small weight and size, gives the best torque.
- As for American Angler, it has a built-in cooling device that prevents overheating so even if you use it for a long time.
- All blades are made from corrosion-free stainless steel, but American Angler has the best blade for me. The quality and craftsmanship of its blade is exceptional. It is flexible and accurate. However, I also appreciate the Rapala for the speed and sharpness of its blade. The Rapala blades are always extremely quality.
- The blade of Mister Twister, although also able to cut big bones, is not durable enough if you use it for this all the time. It is better suited for smaller fishes. One user even suggests using it only to remove skin.
- What I like best about Mister Twister, though, is the safety features that ensures you won’t accidentally turn on the knife and hurt yourself.
Ability to fillet fish:
- I use all the knives for cleaning and doing fillet on all kinds and sizes of fishes. Although I have noticed that some do better than others.
- Take the Rapala, which is great with big-sized fishes like salmon, trout and walleye. It can take out the rib bones and back bones with little effort on both the knife and the user.
- The American Angler is good, and can work on all kinds and sizes of fishes, from small to big. It also does not overheat easy so I can work on more volume of fishes.
- The Mister Twister is easy to manipulate because it is lightweight, however, it works great only for smaller-sized fishes. I don’t think its blade can withstand hard and tough bones of bigger fishes.
>> OUR PICK for PERFORMANCE is Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife mainly for its strong motor that claims to work twice as fast and three times as powerful – a claim which I can attest to.
My Rapala does a good job of cleaning fish effortlessly. I do not have to work twice as hard or twice as long. I hold it firmly and guide it to where I want it to cut. It’s an easy breezy. For me the Rapala is the most quality knife.
Usability – Which one is the best?
- I like to use my Rapala because it is easy to manipulate and works fast. I have to keep it plugged in, and well, frankly, the 8 feet cord is long enough for me. Changing blades can be a bit tough in the first few uses, but I use lube to loosen it.
- The American Angler also makes it easier with an 8-feet cord. The handle also offers good, firm grip so it is easy to maneuver it around. A user claimed the trigger easily broke, so be careful. I think the trigger is at a better location, out of the way of the thumb so it won’t be accidentally put on.
- Again because of its size and weight, the Mister Twister is easy and light to use having the best torque ability. I can easily twist it around and makes it easy to work on smaller-sized fishes. However, its cord is a bit short for me, but I use an extension cord, and voila, problem solved.
>> OUR PICK for USABILITY is Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife. It has a strong motor that does a great job, and because of its lightweight, it is easy to control.
I use it on big-sized fishes and I don’t even break a sweat. With small fish, it is too easy.
The power is really in the motor and the sharpness of the blades. This makes a good combination in maximizing the usability of the knife. The Rapala knife works well with most of your saltwater and freshwater fish.
The best combo of Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife:
My rating: (4.8 / 5)
This Rapala comes with a motor and a standard 7.5 inches blade. However, it is packaged as a combo to include another blade which is 6 inches, and a fillet fork which I use to hold down a slippery fish I am working on.
It can be rather difficult to use a bigger blade when the fish is too small. It is more likely that I will damage the meat, too, because it is difficult to move around the big blade in a small fish. It also gives you a safe case to store your knife easily.
Versatility – Which one is the best?
- Rapala had my friend that claims he uses his knife to cut through foam in their upholstery business. The knife has the powerful motor and the sharp blades that give smooth, clean cuts without jagged edges. Aside from fish and foam, Rapala can also be used on meat, ham, turkey and even bread.
- Since the blade of the American Angler is durable and sharp, it can also be used on anything without fear of breaking it or overheating the unit.
- The Mister Twister is used by both a furniture businessman and by one who owns a bakery. It is the most versatile knife because of its small size that can easily be maneuvered. It can beautifully carve ham and turkey on your dinner table.
>> OUR PICK for VERSATILITY is Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife. Because of its small size and light weight, it can very easily be maneuvered to make clean cuts, carve, and cut angles and corners.
Despite its size, it packs a wallop because of its 120V motor. It can be used in fishes, even on other kinds of meat and well, you can always use it on your foam. I absolutely love the knife.
Cost – Which one is the best?
- The most expensive among the choices is the American Angler, but there is value for the top dollar you pay. Top dollar for a top quality knife in terms of durability.
- Rapala is mid-priced, and for it, you are also getting ease, convenience and speed in getting the job done fast. It is the best electric knife for performance.
- The most affordable brand is the Mister Twister. Understandably, too, since Mister Twister is lightweight, but because of its size, it has many more uses.
>> OUR PICK for COST is Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife. Understandably, it is the least priced, but packed with value for its user. When you talk of cost, it is not limited to the dollar sign, but most importantly, the quality and the extent of usage of the product.
I can attest that all these qualities are found in the Mister Twister, and in the end, you get more than you paid for. It is the best electric knife for money.
Durability – Which one is the best?
All the blades are made from non-corrosive stainless steel, but it also takes diligence to keep it clean and stored safely so it can last for longer time.
- Rapala can work through 20 large fishes without overheating. What Rapala lacks, though, is a proper container or bag for its knife. Without it, the knife is too exposed to elements, especially when you bring it out during fishing trips.
- The American Angler is known for its durable and top quality blades, and with a carry-all bag, it protects the knife. The material of the carry-all allows proper ventilation so moister and rust will not build up on the blade.
- Mister Twister also lacks a proper sheath for carrying. One my friend claims his family has had their Mister Twister for two decades. The blade, though, can withstand usage only if it is not overly-used on big-sized fishes. It is better to limit your Mister Twister on smaller fishes. This will help your knife last longer.
>> OUR PICK for DURABILITY is American Angler PRO Professional Grade because of its durable blades. The blades are made from top quality stainless steel, and the unit comes with a bag to protect it and properly store it. The bag protects the unit from rust and moisture, and when a knife is properly cared for, it can last longer.
The best combo of American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife:
My rating: (4.5 / 5)
The Kit is the total package. Its blades are smooth and accurate.
The combo includes 5 choices of blades mainly the 10 inch saltwater blade and this can be replaced with any of the following: the 5.5 inch curved tip blade, its bigger version of 8 inch curved tip blade, an 8 inch heavy duty shark blade replacement, and its big brother, the 10 inche heavy duty shark blade replacement.
With these many accessories, you get the knife you need for a particular size, for a particular fish. Cleaning fish is made even easier than ever.
Portability – Which model is the best?
All the electric knives brands are small enough to be portable. However, since it is electric, it requires to be plugged into an electric source. That limits portability.
Therefore, if you have a cordless electric knife, it does not to be plugged in. You just have to re-charge the batteries before use. Once full, the batteries can last through days. You can bring it with you anywhere.
>> OUR PICK for PORTABILITY is a cordless electric fillet knife.
All of our brands and models specified in the preceding paragraphs come with cords that need to be plugged into electric outlets. For absolute portability, you need a cordless unit.
Which is the best cordless electric fillet knife for YOU?
We highly recommend Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife.
My rating: (4.5 / 5)
It is light enough to carry around, and with its built-in lithium batteries, you can actually use it anywhere, even in the middle of a lake.
This kind of batteries also charge fast, and pack for longer usage, which is very important, because I wouldn’t want to be looking for a place to charge in the middle of nowhere. A friend used his Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife every day for a whole week without needing to charge it. Very impressive!
Here are the benefits of the Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife:
- This product already includes one super sharp 7″ blade.
- It also comes with a good lithium ion battery which are durable with long performance of 80 continuous minutes of run time so there is no need to connect to an electric outlet when you are outdoors.
- The battery are lithium so its lightweight and yet durable, and also able to charge fast.
- Also includes a 110V wall charger so you can conveniently charge it when you are back in civilization.
- Easy cleaning possible without the inconvenience of working around a cord that you just might accidentally cut or get tangled in.
Some of its lesser advantages:
- When battery runs out, it will not choose a time or place so you might be caught holding a fish you have not yet finished cleaning.
- Charging will take 2 hours to get the 80 minutes performance.
- It is ideal for use on small fishes as it would not consume so much power.
The best combo of Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife:
My rating: (4.7 / 5)
Rapala does not stop in amazing us with bigger and better innovations:
- First there was their Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife;
- Then they solved the problem of tangled electric cords with their Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife which allows 80 minutes of efficient performance.
And now, there is the Rapala RRFNSC Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife Combo. It stands out by:
- The best part of a combo is you have more ways to skin a fish. You have a 6-inch blade for the smaller fish, and a 7.5 inch blade for the bigger one. All you have to do is change the blade that you attach to the motor. Personalizing your tool is so easy and so quick.
- Including 2 batteries will help you forget about power outages.
- Your gear is better protected with the safe case.
There is a very effective way to preserve your fresh fish that you have been very hard to get, which is packing your fish before storing in your freezer with the best vacuum sealer for fish.
These days, we like everything fast. We have fast food, instant noodles and atms. We don’t want to wait. We want to get the job done fast.
When you have pounds and pounds of beautiful fish waiting to be cleaned, time is a huge factor. If you don’t get it done fast enough, your fresh fish deteriorates in freshness.
To get the cleaning done in lesser time with lesser effort, you need an electric fillet knife.
When you have this handy tool in your kitchen, cleaning and filleting the fish will get done fast and you will not even have to strain yourself.
Final comparison of the 3 best electric fillet knives
Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife is the winner in choosing the best electric fillet knife.
It is from a company that thoroughly knows and understands quality with their product line of fishing tools like tackles, rods and lures.
In my review, this product was our pick for high performance and usability.
- It boasts of its 110 volts motor that has twice the speed and three times the power;
- It works efficiently smoothly and it is easy to use;
- Its blades are made from corrosion-free stainless steel, and are dishwasher-safe;
- It is engineered with air-flow design to prevent overheating so no fear of burning your hand.
Get your own Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife and enjoy not only fishing, but even the cleaning. No more huffing and puffing.
Buy your own unit and enjoy effortless cleaning. Give your fish the best it deserves.
If you need to remove bone for your game meat, use my best boning knife.