Why Do You Need Best Vacuum Sealer For Your Fish And Game?
What do you do with 20 lbs. of venison or 4 lbs. of tuna? How do you preserve it in top quality for a long time?
All what you need is the best vacuum sealer for fish and game. Vacuum and seal, freeze it, and when you open it months later, it will still be as fresh as the day you caught it.
You say you can preserve your hunt just using butcher paper, or Ziploc freezer bags. It may help, but the food will not stay for long.
Meat kept in the freezer for a long time develops freezer burn – that ugly, brownish-grayish matter on top of meat. When you cook it, it’s dry and tasteless.
Get yourself best vacuum sealer for fish and wild game, and prolong the enjoyment of the fruits of your hunt.
Vacuum seal and freeze all the fish or game, and you can enjoy it for years to come. When you open it, it will be as fresh as the day you vacuum sealed it.
Vacuum sealer is the optimal solution to preserve your catch.
We have innumerable vacuum sealers on the market, but with my experience after years of using this machine, I can show you the 3 Gamesaver models that are best suited for hunters and fishermen. They are also my favorite models.
Choosing bags for your food is as important as choosing a machine. Selecting the bags carefully will help you achieve the highest vacuum sealing efficiency. That is our ultimate goal. Here are my tips on choosing food-grade bags and rolls:
- Only use high quality food bags and rolls, especially when you want to freeze your food for a long time;
- Use the bags and rolls that best fits your model;
- Use different bag sizes according to your food size.
I highly recommend you to use the top quality bags and rolls below:
5 HUGE Benefits Of Vacuum Sealer
Make sure that you have understood the importance of vacuum sealer machine. Before we make comparisons and reviews to find the best one, let us give you the HUGE BENEFITS of buying and using a vacuum sealer – things you might not know.
Your catch in the freezer is preserved in best taste and quality, without freezer burn
- When you put food in the freezer without vacuum sealing it, it will have freezer burn, that brownish-grayish matter. The long freezer time will also dry out your meat or fish, and when you eat it, it will taste like cardboard.
- When you vacuum seal before freezing, you seal in the freshness of your food. Even if you eat it years later, it will taste and look as fresh as the day you vacuum sealed it. That is great!
Your bait will be preserved by the most professional way
- This is a big help especially if you are using natural baits like eels, ballyhoo, fish heads or sea clams. If you leave it out, it will lose its freshness and the smell will change. Vacuum seal your bait to keep it fresh, and when you store it inside your freezer, it will not leave any unwanted odors.
- If you are using other kinds of baits that don’t need to be kept fresh, you can still use the vacuum sealer to organize your bait box. Different kinds of baits for different kinds of fishes. You can sort them out, seal in labeled bags, and make things easy and convenient for your next trip.
Protection of essential items is extremely important
- When you go fishing or hunting, you never know when you’ll end up wet so it is good to carry some essentials in waterproof bags, or vacuum sealed bags. You can put together your own emergency kit with your personal medicines along with matches, flashlight, map and so on. Put inside one bag and vacuum seal it to save space and to protect it from water. I also put in another bag my wallet, cell phone and keys. So when I need something, it is easy to just pick the right see-through bag containing it.
- Aside from these emergency situations, you can also use the vacuum sealer to preserve your hooks and terminal tackles from getting rust on them.
You can have a very orderly and organized freezer
- Vacuum sealed bags are comparatively smaller in size, more compact so it gives you more freezer space as compared to other kinds of containers. It is see-through so you don’t have to claw your way through many bags, and you can easily label it, too.
- You can have this same order and maximized space when you vacuum seal your clothes and other essentials before putting inside your bag. Put underwear together, toiletries, photocopies of license or id for a more organized luggage.
Tastier meals and easier transport
- Just because you are out in the wild you eat like a wild man. You can bring some of the pasta your wife has prepared for you. Just vacuum seal and keep in your freezer, and when you are ready to eat, re-heat using microwave or by putting the bag in a pot of hot water.
- And of course, you cannot just bring inside the house the wild game you hunted or the fish still dripping with sea water. Vacuum packaging is a great way to transport game. No smell, no unwanted mess.
Which Is The Best Vacuum Sealer For Fish And Wild Game 2017?
What may be best for you may not be best for the next person. Your answer will depend on the criteria that you deem most important.
Our reviews have compiled various feedbacks of FOOD Adviser members. They are pros in the field of hunting and fishing, and we feature their words good or bad to give you a thorough and un-biased analysis.
Top 3 best rated vacuum sealer for fish and game:
- FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game Vacuum Sealing System (BEST CHOICE)
- Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
- VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Comparison chart of top 3 best rated vacuum sealers in 2017
|Big Game GM710|
Best way to preserve your hunt fresh as long as possible:
Our experts confirm that this is the most effective method for preserving our hunt with the best quality for the longest time.
- Step 1: You need to dry the surface of your fish or meat with a paper towel to remove moisture;
- Step 2: Take plastic food wrap and wrap fish or game meat entirely;
- Step 3: Vacuum seal properly with your vacuum sealer, and put the food bags into your freezer.
Things To Consider About Each Model Before Purchase
Prior to review each model in detail and compare between models together, we give you a brief review of each vacuum sealer to help you understand them.
- You pay for the most basic functions, but what else do you need? No whistles and lights here, but it does the good job of vacuum sealing, and is built to withstand being carted around on boats or on trucks.
- It is a great model at very reasonable price.
Portability and Design
- It includes a 12-volt DC adapter so you can bring it around and use outside your home, easy to plug into your vehicle’s electrical accessory port or cigarette lighter plug.
- It has a portable carrying handle.
- Its rugged design is built to withstand lugging around.
- It’s compact and handy at 8.4 lbs.
- It comes with a long power cord.
- The removable drip tray is also extra-large for the big games.
- It can do 80 consecutive seals without overheating.
- It can seal up to 240 lbs. of meat – the key for big game as venison.
- When you are using your GameSaver for more delicate items, like chips you couldn’t finish, don’t over-vacuum it to bits. Use the seal override button to stop the vacuum and go to seal.
- The seal vacuum can also let you do double-seal if you want to be sure.
- It already has an accessory port so you can vacuum seal canisters and jars, or use as marinator. It is versatile!
- It has a built-in storage for rolls and a cutter bar so you can easily make your own bags.
- Easy touch buttons to operate – one button to vacuum and seal.
- The buttons are extra-large and rubberized for easy manipulations when you got your hands full.
- Can be a bit finicky and would only work with FoodSaver rolls and bags.
Vacuum Sealing Liquid-rich Foods
- Liquids may be sucked out during the vacuum process.
- The trick is to pat-dry the meat or fish before vacuum sealing. You can also wrap them by butcher papers.
I love this model because of its outstanding features. It is high quality and very easy to use. This is my indispensable item in every hunting trip. GREAT MACHINE!
- You are paying for durability and power, and the price is worth it. The stainless steel body can withstand rough terrain, and the double piston motor packs a tight vacuum and seal. This mean machine can outlast and outlive you.
- Customer service of the company is not friendly and helpful.
- The initial purchase already contains an extra heat strip.
- Gaskets may be replaced, so no need to throw out a grumpy unit. It can be fixed.
Portability and Design
- It has extra-wide seal bars at 5mm for a very secure seal.
- The seal bar is extra-long and can seal up to 15 inches across.
- 4 lbs. heavy, and big and cannot fit in an ordinary kitchen.
- Not portable at all.
- It has a double piston pump that draws out air maximum strength, and seals fast.
- A built-in fan in the motor keeps the unit from overheating despite continuous use.
- A more quiet machine than FoodSaver.
- Unit has a vacuum port, but cannot be used to connect to vacuum seal containers or jars or marinators.
- No built-in roll cutter, and the Weston bags do not have hash marks to make manual cutting by scissors easier.
- Eats up lesser bag material so there is savings in bags. You may re-use it.
- Lid is see-through so you can watch how the vacuum seal is coming along, and you can control the vacuum by pressing stop.
Vacuum Sealing Liquid-rich Foods
- Tends to suck out liquids when vacuum.
- Best tip is to freeze the food if it has wet sauce or marinade.
- Among the brands and models, this is the Ferrari being the best commercial vacuum sealer for hunters and fishers. The features are extensive, and do not limit you to just vacuum sealing.
- You can do a marvelous sous vide cooking by using this chamber vacuum sealer to vacuum seal the bag before the water bath.
Portability and Design
- It looks like a silver box with bells and whistles.
- It’s the size of a small table, and may not fit in your kitchen, much less your counter top.
- The size, however, and its weight of 83 lbs., makes it difficult to bring around when on a fishing expedition or on a hunting trip.
- It’s a chamber vacuum sealer. You have to lift up the lid, and place the bag inside. This method ensures the best vacuum, because the air around the bag inside the chamber is also sucked out.
- Can seal up to 11.75 in x 11.5 in and seal in bulk easily.
- The over-all design may daunt you as too complicated, but once you get it, it is easy to operate.
- Can be used with any brand of bags.
Vacuum Sealing Liquid-rich Foods
- This is the best vacuum sealer for wet fish and game meat because there is no fear of liquid being sucked out.
- You can vacuum seal your fish dripping wet, or you can put liquid marinade on your meat and vacuum seal it.
- This makes the meat more flavorful, and you can do a sous vide cooking to evenly tenderize the meat.
Detailed Reviews And Comparison Of Best Vacuum Sealers For Hunters And Fishermen
Read this far, I am sure you have known about the 3 top models that we highly recommend for your fish and game:
- FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game Vacuum Sealing System (BEST for PRO)
- Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
- VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
In the comparison, we shall compare them in detail based on the following criteria to help you pick the best one for your needs:
- Portability and Design
- Vacuum Sealing Liquid-rich Foods
COST – Which one is the best?
Cost is not just what you pay for when you purchase. It includes factors like durability, versatility and extras that come with the purchase.
The FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game GM710-000 is the most affordable, and understandably so because it is the most basic in functions. However, you will have to spend more for FoodSaver bags (the most suitable) or you can use other types of embossed bags with more affordable on the unit.
The Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer is like a truck. It’s built like one, and can withstand rough terrain. It’s priced in the medium range. Its motor is also powerful. The initial package includes a replacement heat seal so that is one big savings. However, as per feedback from our users, their customer service is not so friendly, and user tells of having to buy more replacement parts that were expensive, and in the end, the whole unit was not used at all. You get replacement parts with your purchase, but you are not taught to use it – that is plain meaningless.
The VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer is the most expensive of the three machines, and this one is a luxury car. But you need to live in a mansion, too, to fit this thing in your kitchen. So cost-wise, who needs the lights and whistles?
Our pick for COST is FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game Model because you really pay for what you get. It is basic in design and functions, and as long as it vacuums and sells, everybody is happy.
To counter the high cost of the FoodSaver bags and rolls, you can re-use it. Put the seal further away from the food so after, you cut the seal and make a new one when you re-use.
Another way is that you can use the cheaper food-grade bags of top rated brands.
PORTABILITY & DESIGN – Which one is the best?
If you are passionate and serious about hunting, and you are since you are reading this, then you want a vacuum sealer you can bring along with you during the fishing expedition or the hunt.
The over-all design of the product should also consider the rugged outdoors and that you may have your hands full when you need to use the vacuum sealer.
The GameSaver Big Game Vacuum Sealing System is built to be carried around. Its size is portable enough, and the handles make it easy to cart around.
The design also has big rubber buttons for easy operation. If you need to express your style more powerful, the Gig Game model is for you.
The Weston Pro-2300 Model is not portable at all. It is built sturdy, but the weight and size of it does not make it portable. Perhaps if you have a cabin in the middle of the woods, you can just leave it there when you are out hunting.
The VacMaster VP210 Chamber Machine is as big as a small table, so again, it is not portable. It is durable, and built sturdy, but the weight and size of it is too much to bring around.
Best for PORTABILITY AND DESIGN is GameSaver Big Game Model because it is lightweight, but sturdy enough to withstand the rough terrain of the mountains or on board a fishing vessel. It also comes with adopter so you can plug it in your vehicle or boat. We highly recommend the model.
PERFORMANCE – Which one is the best?
We are talking of motor size, how easy to use, and how effective is the vacuum and seal of the machine.
Performance is very important because you don’t want to be paying for a weak seal. A weak seal is as bad as no seal at all and your food will spoil or get freezer burn.
The GameSaver Big Game GM710-000 Model can do 80 seals continuously without overheating, although some users refute this, and say you have to rest seconds in between if you don’t want to overheat the machine. I personally think that safety is foremost. I always let it rest for a period during continuous use. We should not risk with our assets, right?
The Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer has the best double piston pump that makes a very strong vacuum, and the sealing is also fast. To avoid overheating, it has a built-in fan to cool it down so no fear of using it continuously. This machine is also a lot quieter than FoodSaver.
The VacMaster VP210 Machine is a chamber vacuum sealer so it is durable, and when it comes to the quality of seal, it is the best. You place the bag inside the chamber, and the air outside the bag, around the chamber, is also vacuumed so you can be sure no air enters the bag. It is a strong vacuum seal.
Our pick for PERFORMANCE is Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer for its powerful double pistol pump. It gives a strong vacuum, seals fast, and also seals wide up to 15 inches. This is the best vacuum sealer for preserving your big game as deer meat.
If you are a team or a club then this machine is a top choice. You can group buy it.
USABILITY – Which one is the best?
A good vacuum sealing machine has to be usable or user-friendly. What good is a machine when you cannot operate it?
The GameSaver Big Game GM710-000 Model is manually operated so it is easy to use and control. It takes just one button to vacuum and seal. You can also override the vacuum, to control it when you are vacuuming delicate items, by just pushing the seal button. There is built-in storage for rolls and a built-in roll cutter as well so you can easily make your own bags. The buttons are extra-large and rubberized, made for the outdoors.
The Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer is also manually operated, but has some disadvantages to it. The vacuum port cannot be used for sealing containers or jars while the GameSaver Big Game model can be done easily. There is also no built-in roll holder or cutter. However, its lid is see-through so you can control the vacuum when doing delicate items by pressing stop.
The VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer is the least user-friendly because you have to manually lift the lid to put the bag inside the chamber. Then put in the bag on top of sealing bar, tuck it back into the chamber, and close the chamber. The vacuum-seal will immediately start. Once done, the valve will open. You cannot operate manually, like controlling the vacuum process.
Our pick for USABILITY is GameSaver Big Game GM710-000 Model. It is basic and simple to use, but does the job of vacuum and sealing without problem. The issue on over-heating can be controlled by pausing for a few seconds in between seal. The other two options are too fancy, and not at all easy to operate. You should buy the GameSaver model because it is very handy.
VACUUM SEALING LIQUID-RICH FOODS – Which one is the best?
Game meat and fish will always have liquid in it – they are wet/moist items, and liquid that comes in our vacuum sealer will cause some damage so be careful.
Vacuum sealing liquids is a common problem of external vacuum sealer like FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game and Weston Pro-2300 machine.
Pro tips – Great solution for sealing your raw fish and meat:
- You can pat-dry the meat or fish to remove moisture with a paper towel, and at the top edge of your bag, roll up some paper towel to absorb whatever left-over liquid is there.
- If you have a liquid marinade, freeze the meat or fish with it in the bag. After an hour or so, vacuum seal. The liquid would have frozen by then, and will not be sucked out. Pre-sealing is paramount for external vacuum sealers.
- A good trick is to hang the bag from the edge of the table or counter so all liquids are at the bottom, then vacuum seal.
Besides, FoodSaver has also a product, Liquid Block bags, which has moisture-absorbing pads to make sure the liquid doesn’t get sucked out, but the price per bag is a big hefty.
The VacMaster VP210 is a chamber vacuum sealer so the pressure inside the bag and inside the chamber is the same. Your liquid will not be sucked out at all. Its technology helps you forget the troubles encountered when vacuum sealing wet fish or game meat.
The VacMaster VP210 is the Best Vacuum Sealer for LIQUID-RICH FOODS as raw fish and game because it allows us to vacuum seal liquids with no problem at all. The VacMaster machine is also best vacuum sealer for sous vide cooking. You can make a tasty liquid marinade for your meat or fish and place it in the bag with the food. It will be more flavorful after vacuum sealing.
Useful Advice – 5 Things to know when you vacuum seal your fish and game:
- Need to filter all the bones and fins to ensure your bags are not punctured; if you need to clean a large volume of fish, we recommend you should use the best electric fillet knife. As for your game meat, use a top boning knife.
- Put the bag flat and straight with sealing strip;
- You should only use freezer food-grade bags for your fresh fish or game meat;
- Before sealing, you should divide your food into the diet suitable for individual or family that you intend;
- Do not forget full labeling for each food bag – this is very important!
Through our reviews that you have just read, I am sure that you have seen the great benefits that the appliance gives you; the most important thing is that it helps you preserve your food in the freezer with the quality and taste like the first day.
Which model is your pick?
|Portability and Design|
If you are cost-conscious, the best choice for you is GameSaver Big Game Model:
- It is simple and basic, and will be able to adequately address your vacuum and sealing needs.
- It is handy and portable and you can keep it with you in your truck or your boat.
- The best part is the price – all these benefits and more at the price you pay makes it a great purchase. Your savings on food costs will adequately compensate your investment for a new GameSaver Big Game model.
As a follower of Foodsaver brand, I recommend you own the best vacuum sealer for home use besides using this model for outdoor activities.
If you are a technical person who knows about machines, your best choice is the Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer:
- It is built to last long, over rough terrain and usage.
- It has a super wide seal, and can seal up to 15 inches long – great for those big venison or huge bass.
- You would appreciate most the double piston pump that draws out air with maximum power, and its built-in fan that ensures continuous operation without overheating.
- The Weston is very suitable for small clubs, you can group buy it.
Get yourself a great tool – the Weston Pro-2300 model with all its whistles and lights.
If you are a serious outdoor sportsman and you need commercial-grade equipment, the VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer is your perfect choice:
- It is durable and has more flexibility in its functions. Vacuum sealing liquid-rich foods like fish or meat will not require acrobatics or pre-freezing. You can do it fast and hassle-free with this chamber vacuum sealer.
- You can put in your favorite liquid seasoning or ingredients to add flavor, without fear of the liquid being sucked out during the vacuum process. Vacuum sealing the flavors in will give you rich and very tasteful food when cooked.
If you value your hunt so much, get the top VacMaster VP210 machine for top quality food.